Friday, July 9, 2010

What's up?

This morning, I happened to drop into the bank to take care of some business.  I usually stop at the ATM machines and do most of what I need to do there.  Today was no exception.

I hadn't even given a thought though to the fact that there were not that many people in the bank when I arrived.  Perhaps I've gotten used to not seeing too many customers waiting, so imagine my surprise when I turned away from the ATM, having completed my transactions, to find a line of people that seemed literally endless, all waiting to use the machines.

I couldn't help wondering whether this plethora of humanity was waiting to withdraw or to deposit.  Could it be that somehow this was tied to the fact that just last night, the union representing more than 3000 nickel miners in this city finally ratified a deal, after almost a year of being on strike?

I've heard from a few of the families involved and they certainly seem to be breathing a sigh of relief.  Certainly, the bargaining unit didn't get everything they had hoped for, but then again who ever does in situations like this?  Regardless, over the next six weeks or so, miners will be returning to work.  What's passed is passed; we cannot change that.  What is to come will be revelatory about who we have become as a result.

No comments: