Wednesday, March 13, 2013

His first greeting



Brothers and sisters, good evening.

You know that the duty of the Conclave was that of giving a bishop to Rome.  It appears that my brothers, the Cardinals went to the end of the world to find him, but here we are.
I want to thank you very much for your welcome.  The diocesan community of Rome has its bishop.  Thank you.  First of all, I would like to say a prayer for our Bishop-emeritus, Benedict XVI.  Let's pray all together for him, that the Lord may bless him, and that Our Lady may keep him ...

Our Father ... Hail Mary ... Glory be to the Father ...

And now, let us begin this journey: bishop and people.  This journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over the churches is a journey of  fraternity, love and trust among us.  Let us always pray for one another.  Let us pray for the world, that there may be a great spirit of fraternity.  It is my hope for you that this journey of the Church, which we begin today, and with which my Cardinal Vicar, here present will help me, might be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city!

And now, I would like to give you my blessing ... but first, first I ask you for a favour: before the Bishop blesses his people, I ask you to pray to the Lord that he will bless me: the prayer of the people asking the blessing for their Bishop.  Let us offer in silence, this prayer, your prayer for me.

(the Holy Father bowed toward the crowd in a moment of silent prayer)

Now, I give my blessing to you and all the whole world - to all men and women of good will ...
His Eminence, Jean-Louis Tauran, the senior Cardinal-deacon explained:
The Holy Father Francis, imparts to all those present, and to all those who receive his blessing by means of the radio, television and by newer means of communication technology, imparts the plenary indulgence in the Church's habitual form.  Let us pray that the Lord may grant him long life to guide the Church, and that He may grant unity to the Church throughout the world.
After which the Holy Father continued:
I wish to share this blessing with all of you, and with all the world, to all men and women of good will:

Holy apostles Peter and Paul who received the authority conferred upon you by the Lord, intercede for us to the Lord.  Amen.
Blessed and holy ever virgin Mary, Blessed Michael and the archangels, Blessed John the Baptist, holy apostles Peter and Paul and all the saints, intercede on our behalf to the all-powerful God, that all sins may be forgiven through Jesus Christ for eternal life.  Amen.
An indulgence and the absolution of all sins is imparted; may it bear fruit and bring the consolation and peace of the Holy Spirit, that you may percevere in good works by which we experience the power and mercy of God.  Amen.
And may the blessing of Almighty God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit descend upon you and remain with you forever.  Amen.

Brothers and sisters, I must leave you, but only for now. Many thanks for your welcome.  Please pray for me often!I will see you soon ... tomorrow I want to go and pray to Our Lady that she may watch over all of Rome. Good night, and sleep well!

No comments: