Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Visit to earthquake region continues

After stopping for almost two hours with the elderly in Borbona, the Pope made a brief stop at the Command Post of the Fire Brigade in Cittareale - base camp for the earthquake zone.  He then traveled to Accumoli, one of the cities most affected, where he greeted several people including the mayor, in Piazza San Francesco and he prayed in front of the Church of Saint Francis which was destroyed by the earthquake.

From there he traveled to Pescara del Tronto, stopping three times along the way to greet small groups of people. Shortly before 2:00pm, the Holy Father arrived in Arquata del Tronto.

In the visit to Pescara Del Tronto and Arquata del Tronto, the Pope was accompanied by Most Reverend Giovanni D'Ercole, Bishop of Ascoli Piceno. In Arquata del Tronto, the Pope greeted more than 100 people, addressing a few words to them and praying with them. He also visited a make-shift school that was set up in the tent city.


Pope’s words to the earthquake victims of Arquata

 Good afternoon to you all. I wanted to be close to you right now and say to you that you are in my heart and I know, I know your suffering and your anguish, and I also know about your dead, and I am with you, and so I wanted to be here today.

Now we pray to the Lord to bless you and pray for your loved ones who have stayed there ... and gone to heaven. Ave Maria .... (Blessing)

And take courage, always keep moving forward, always forward. Times will change and you will be able to move forward. I am close to you, I'm with you.

No comments: