Monday, August 21, 2017

Greetings to the Methodist and Waldensian Churches

The Holy Father, Pope Francis has sent a letter to the members of the Methodist and Waldensian Churches who are holding their annual Synod in torre Pellice (Turin) from August 20 to 25, 2017.

Pope Francis visited the Waldensian Temple in Turin
22 June 2015

Letter of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
to members of the 
Methodist and Waldensian Churches

Dear brothers and sisters,

On the occasion of the opening of your annual Synod, I wish to express the closeness of the Catholic Church and my personal closeness to you.  I greet you fraternally and very cordially I assure you of a remembrance in my prayer.

I have warm memories of our recent encounters in Turin and in Rome, as well as those which took place in Argentina.  I am grateful for the beautiful testimony that I received and for the many faces that I will never forget.  I hope that these days of sharing and reflection, which are taking place during the 500th anniversary of the Reform, will be for you an experience of joy as you stand before the face of Christ: his gaze, which turns toward us, is the source of our peace, for it helps us to feel loved by the Father and helps us to see our world and its history in a new way.

The gaze of Jesus also illuminates our relationships; these are not only formal and correct, but fraternal and lively.  The Good Shepherd desires that we should journey together and his gaze already embraces all of us, his disciples who He wishes to see fully united.

Journeying toward full unity, with a hopeful gaze that recognizes the presence of God who is stronger than evil: this is very important.  This is especially true today, in a world that is marked by violence and fear, by lacerations and indifference, where the selfishness of affirming at the expense of others obscures the simple beauty of welcoming, sharing and loving.  Our Christian witness cannot yield to the logic of this world: together, we can help one another to chose to live by the logic of Christ!

With fraternal affection I thank you and I ask you, please, not to forget to pray for me and for all of us, your brothers and sisters.

From the Vatican
10 August 2017

Francis

No comments: