Thursday, September 20, 2018

Video Message sent to the Baltic countries

In the coming days, the Holy Father will set out for his next Apostolic Voyage, visiting the Baltic countries, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.  In anticipation of his upcoming visit, His Holiness has sent a video message to the people he intends to visit.


Video Message of His Holiness, Pope Francis
sent to the people of the Baltic countries,
Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia

Dear friends,

Upon the vigil of my visit to the Baltic countries, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, I wish to send an affectionate word of greeting to all of you who inhabit that land.  Although I come as Pastor of the Catholic Church, I would like to embrace everyone and offer a message of peace, good will and hope for the future.

My visit coincides with the centenary of the independence of your nations and will naturally honour all those whose sacrifices in the past have made the liberties of the present possible. Freedom, as we know, is a treasure that must be constantly preserved and handed down, as a precious heritage, to the new generations. In times of darkness, violence and persecution, the flame of freedom is not extinguished, but inspires the hope of a future in which the dignity given by God to each person is respected and we all feel called to collaborate in the construction of a just and fraternal society.

Today that sense of solidarity and service for the sake of the common good is more necessary than ever. I hope that my visit will be a source of encouragement for all people of good will who, inspired by the deepest spiritual and cultural values inherited from the past, are working peacefully to alleviate the suffering of our brothers and sisters who are in need and to promote unity and harmony at all levels of society.

I know that many people are working hard to prepare for my visit and I thank them wholeheartedly. I assure you all of my closeness in prayer and I send you my blessing. And I ask you, please, to pray for me. God bless you!

No comments: