Tuesday, September 10, 2019

The voyage home

After having celebrated a private Mass this morning, the Holy Father left the Apostolic Nunciature in Antananarivo (Madagascar).  After having greeted the personnel at that Residence, along with the benefactors, friends of that Pontifical Representation and a few poor elderly ladies on behalf of those who are assisted every Friday by the Nunciature, His Holiness travelled by car to the airport in Antananarivo for the official departure ceremony.

Upon his arrival, at 8:50am local time (1:50am EDT), the Holy Father was welcomed by the President of the Republic of Madagascar, Mister Andry Rajoelina and his wife at the entrance to the Presidential Pavilion, where the two sat briefly to talk.   Then, leaving the pavilion, the Pope greeted the Malagasy Bishops and made his way toward the plane.  There were approximately 300 faithful in attendance.


After having inspected the Honour Guard, Pope Francis boarded the Air Madagascar A340neo which was waiting to take him back to Italy.

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father back from his Apostolic voyage to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius departed at 9:38am local time (2:38am EDT), and is expected to arrive at Rome's Ciampino International Airport at 7:00pm local time (2:00pm EDT).


Telegram of the Holy Father, Pope Francis

Immediately after leaving Antananarivo, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following telegram to the President of the Republic of Madagascar, Mister Andry Rajoelina.

His Excellency, Andry Rajoelina
President of the Republic of Madagascar
Antananarivo

As I leave Madagascar again to return to Rome, I renew my gratitude for your warm welcome, and I invoke upon the nation the blessings of Almighty God.

Francis


Telegrams sent to the Heads of State
en route from Antananarivo to Rome

During the flight from Antananarivo to Rome, while passing over Tanzania, Kenya, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Greece, and finally re-entering into Italian airspace, the Pope sent the following telegrams to the Heads of State of the respective countries.

While flying over Tanzania

His Excellency, John Magufuli
President of the United Republic of Tanzania
Dodoma

Returning to Rome at the conclusion of my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius, I once again wish to renew the assurance of my prayers for Your Excellency and all the people of Tanzania, upon whom I gladly invoke God's abundant blessings.

Francis

While flying over Kenya

His Excellency, Uhuru Kenyatta
President of the Republic of Kenya
Nairobi

I offer my cordial best wishes to you and to the people of Kenya as I return to Rome after my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius.  Upon all of you, I invoke God's blessings of peace and well-being.

Francis

While flying over South Sudan

His Excellency, Salva Kiir Mayardit
President of the Republic of South Sudan
Juba

En route to Rome at the conclusion of my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius, I once again send my cordial best wishes to you and to the people of South Sudan, praying for the blessings of peace and well-being.

Francis

While flying over Ethiopia

Her Excellency, Sahle-Work Zewde
President of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
Addis Ababa

As I fly over Ethiopia on my return journey to Rome from my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius, I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens.  Invoking upon the nation the blessings of Almighty God, I willingly renew the assurance of my prayers.

Francis

While flying over Sudan

Abdel Fattah Abdelrahman Burhan
Chairman of the Sovereign Council of the Republic of Sudan
Khartoum

As I fly through Sudan's airspace following my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius, I once again pray for your fellow citizens, that all of you may continue to enjoy the abundant blessings of the Almighty.

Francis

While flying over Egypt

His Excellency, Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi
President of the Arab Republic of Egypt
Cairo

Returning to Rome at the conclusion of my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius, I once again express my cordial best wishes to Your Excellency and to the people of Egypt.  With the assurance of my prayers, I willingly invoke upon all of you the Almighty's blessings of joy and harmony.

Francis

While flying over Greece

His Excellency, Prokopis Pavlopoulos
President of the Hellenic Republic
Athens

Returning to Rome after my Apostolic visit to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius, I renew my greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens, and upon all I invoke abundant divine blessings.

Francis

Arriving in Italian airspace

His Excellency, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quiriinale

Returning from my Apostolic voyage to Mozambique, Madagascar and Mauritius where I was able to encounter people anchored in solid spiritual traditions, I wish to express in the right way to you, Mister President and to the beloved Italian nation my cordial wish for serenity and I assure you of my constant prayer.

Francis

No comments: