Sunday, March 22, 2020

Pope Francis' Mass for 22 March 2020

At 7:00am this morning (2:00am EST), the Holy Father, Pope Francis celebrated Mass inside the chapel at the Casa Santa Marta.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
prior to the celebration of the Mass

In these days, we are hearing news about many who have died: men, women who are dying alone, without being able to say goodbye to their loved ones.  Let us think of them and pray for them.  But also for their families, who cannot be close to their loved ones at this time of transition.  Our special prayers today are from the dead and for their families.


Homily of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
during the Mass celebrated on 22 March 2020

This passage from the gospel of John (cf Jn 9:1-41) speaks about him.  It is a proclamation by Jesus Christ and it is also a lesson in faith.  I simply want to point out one thing.  Saint Augustine has a phrase that I think is striking: I am afraid of Christ when he passes - Timeo Dominum transeuntem. -I am afraid that Christ will pass - But why are you afraid of the Lord? - I am afraid I will not realize that it is Christ and let him pass by. One thing is clear: in the presence of Jesus the true feelings of the heart blossom, true attitudes come out. It is a grace, and this is the reason why Augustine was afraid to let him pass by without realizing that he was passing by.

Here it is clear: he is passing by, a blind man is healed and scandal is unleashed. And then we see the best of people and the worst of people. The blind man … the wisdom of the blind man is surprising, as he answers. He was used to moving about, guided by his hands, he had a sense of danger, he had a sense of dangerous things that could make him slip. And he moves about like a blind man. With a clear, precise argument, and then also he uses irony, this luxury is allowed.

The doctors of the Law knew all the laws, all, all. But they were stuck there. They did not understand how to recognize when God was passing by. They were rigid, attached to their habits. Jesus himself says it in the Gospel: stick to habits. And if, to maintain these habits, they had to perform an injustice, it was not a problem, because habits said that this was not justice; and that rigidity led them to perform injustices. That feeling of closure comes out before Christ.

I just want to say this. I advise you all to take the Gospel today, chapter 9 of the Gospel of John, and read it at home, don't worry. Once, twice, in order to understand well what happens when Jesus passes: that feelings come out. Understand well what Augustine tells us: I am afraid of the Lord when he passes, that I do not realize it and do not recognize him. And that I am not converted. Do not forget: read it today once, twice, three times, as long as you want, chapter 9 of John.



After the completion of the Mass, the Holy Father spent some time in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament.  His Holiness offered the following prayer, leading all those who were united with him in prayer via various media:

Prayer to make a spiritual communion

My Jesus, I believe that you are truly present in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar. I love you above all things and I desire you in my soul. Since I cannot receive You sacramentally now, at least spiritually come to my heart. As you have already come, I embrace you and I join myself to you. Do not let me ever be separated from you.

No comments: