Saturday, March 6, 2010

Simple gestures

A few years ago, I had a wonderful opportunity to live with and to work with Bob Harris. To us he was known as a bishop, but to his friends and relations he insisted on being known as Bishop Bob.

From the day he arrived (and probably for many years previous), he had a practice of calling his parents every night to say hello. This simple gesture was and instant sign of his love for them, and a testimony to the closeness of their relationship. During the time we lived together, he also introduced me to both his parents when they came to visit with him for a few days.

When Bob moved to another province a few years ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to visit with him and to witness once more his ongoing witness of calling his parents every day to say hello. Even just for a few moments at a time, this was enough to keep them close despite the physical miles that separated them.

A couple of years ago, we received the news that Charles, Bob's father had died. Although I was not able to be present for the funeral, I did send a note of sympathy, and received one in return: a gentle sign from this gentle man of his appreciation for a simple act of kindness. This past week, we received the news that Claire, his mother has finally completed her earthly journey. The funeral Mass was celebrated yesterday, and once again I was not able to make the journey, but once again, I sent a simple note of sympathy.

Friendships are created through simple gestures and words. They are knitted together through shared experiences and wisdom, and held together despite physical distance thanks to the care and love that we invest at significant moments (and even at not so significant times too).

Bob learned the value of relationships from his parents and from others. In his own simple way, he continues to teach this important lesson to us all. May we treasure this opportunity, and appreciate ever more deeply the gift that is being offered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough in my journey to see the chaos my addictive behaviours were having in my relationships before I lost any material possessions. The pain of being disconnected from others, myself and God was too much and I was able to find a solution. Today (like just now) I called my Dad and we chatted for a couple of minutes. Thanks for the reminder of the importance of relationships!! One more day.