Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A walk in the parish

I wanted to begin this post explaining that I went for a walk in the park this morning, but in truth I went for a walk within the territory of the parish.  Accompanied by one of my confreres, I decided to walk to the neighbouring worship site for the funeral that was celebrated there today.

Beginning in January of this year, the parish I have been assigned to expanded its territory to re-encompass that of one of our neighbours, effectively re-joining two parochial territories which had been split some time in the past.  As we walked along this morning, I was reminded that this change means that I'm the pastor of this entire territory, and of all the people who live within it, and that the fact that this morning's funeral was celebrated in a building other than that in which I reside is of little consequence because both buildings are now part of the same parish.

This was the first (of many I hope) time that I'd actually walked the distance, instead of using other means, at least in the past couple of months.  I couldn't help thinking that walking through this territory on a regular basis might easily become a routine for me, and provide a wonderful way for me to stay 'connected' with those who live and work here too.

No comments: