Monday, February 7, 2011

What are you reading?

I've heard that there are applications for bloggers (perhaps even for this one) that allow us to display the books we're currently reading.  If I ever find time to explore all the treasures that are available, who knows what other applications I might find.  In the meanwhile, here's a list of some of the books I currently have my bookmarks in:

Spirituality
In the realm of reflection, I recently got my hands on a copy of Pope Benedict XVI's catechetical sessions on the Fathers of the Church.  He pronounced them during his Wednesday Audiences beginning March 7, 2007.  The first 36 of these catecheses have been translated into English and are published in this volume.  Each chapter of the book focuses on a different Father of the Church, from St. Clement of Rome to St. Augustine of Hippo.  Imagine spending some time each morning with one of the Fathers!

Besides St. Clement himself, I've also managed to get through the chapter on St. Ignatius of Antioch.  Maybe tomorrow I'll check out another of these ancient sages.

Biography
Just this past year, Ignatius Press published a book-length interview that was granted by the Holy Father to Peter Seewald.  The book that resulted is entitled Light of the World.  A cursory glance at the first chapter or so shows that it's written in interview form: questions and answers.  It appears to be an easily flowing conversation ... and promises to be a good read.

Just because
Everyone has to have a book to distract the imagination.  Usually these are the ones that lie beside my bed, and often they are the ones that I leaf through last thing at night, even as I fall deeper and deeper into the hold of slumber.  The books that are there now are Wilbur Smith's The Seventh Scoll and Linden Macntyre's The Bishop's Man.  Wish me luck.

No comments: