Saturday, March 23, 2013

Acknowledging with thanks

Since his election as Successor of Peter, the Holy Father has received many communications from various parts of the world, expressing their congratulations and the assurance of their prayer.  One such communication was a letter received from the Postulator General of the Society of Jesus, in which greetings and fraternal support were pledged on behalf of all the members of the Society to which His Holiness also belongs.

Today the Vatican Press Office released the text of the contents of the letter which His Holiness has penned in return to Father Adolfo Nicholas Pachon, SJ.  Here is an English translation of the letter which was originally composed in Spanish:


Dear Father Nicholas:

With great joy, I received the letter you so kindly saw fit to send on the occasion of my election to the See of Saint Peter, and in which you presented your greetings and those othe Society of Jesus, and I count on your prayer for me and for my apostolic ministry, while at the same time renewing your complete willingness to continue serving the Church and the Vicar of Christ unconditionally, according to the precept of St. Ignatius of Loyola.

I cordially thank you for the token of appreciation and closeness, which I am pleased to reciprocate, asking the Lord to enlighten and accompany all Jesuits, so that, faithful to the charism received in the footsteps of the saints of our beloved Order, you may continue  your pastoral work, but above all through the witness of a life entirely devoted to the service of the Church, the Bride of Christ, Gospel leaven in the world, tirelessly seeking the glory of God and the good of souls.

With these sentiments, I ask all Jesuits to pray for me and entrust me to the loving protection of Mary, our Mother in Heaven, while, as a pledge of abundant heavenly favors, with special affection I impart my Apostolic Blessing , which I extend to all those who cooperate with the Society of Jesus in their activities, benefit from their good works and partake of their spirituality.

From the Vatican, 16 March 2013
Francis

No comments: