Saturday, June 27, 2015

A video-message to prepare the way

Yesterday afternoon, a video message which had been prepared by the Holy Father, Pope Francis in preparation for his upcoming visit to Latin America (from July 5 to 12) was broadcast simultaneously in Ecuador, Bolivia and Paraguay.


Text of the video message prepared by the Holy Father, Pope Francis
and broadcast simultaneously in Ecuador, Bolivia and Paraguay

Dear brothers and sisters in Ecuador, Bolivia and Paraguay,

There is not much time left before my trip.  With this greeting, I want to express my closeness, my sympathy, my good wishes.  My desire is to be with you, to share your preoccupations, to demonstrate my affection and closeness and to rejoice with you too.

I want to bear witness of the joy of the gospel and to bring you the tenderness and the caress of God, our Father, especially to those who are most in need, to the elderly, to the sick, to those who are imprisoned, to the poor and to those who have become victims of this culture of disposal.  The love of God, who is so merciful beyond measure, allows us to discover the face of His Son Jesus in every brother, in every one of our sisters.  We only need to draw close to one another, to be neighbours.  As Jesus said to the young doctor of the law when he asked: Who is my neighbour? ... He asks us to do the same: Go and do what the good Samaritan did, go and do the same, draw close to your neighbours, do not pass them by.

During this voyage, I will visit three sister nations in the land of the American continent.  The faith that we all share is a source of fraternity and solidarity, through which we can build towns, become families of families, foster agreement and encourage the desire for and the commitment to peace.

In these days leading up to our encounter, I give thanks to God for you, and I ask you to be steadfast in the faith, bearing within you the fire of love and of charity and holding firmly to the hope that will never disappoint.  I ask you all to join your prayers with mine, that the gospel message might reach even the most remote places so that the values of the Kingdom of God might become the leaven for the earth in our time.

May the Blessed Virgin watch over you, may the Mother of the Americas care for you and may God bless you.  Thank you very much.  I'll see you very soon and, please don't forget to pray for me.

No comments: