Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A video message to Sarajevo

Today in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a video-message recorded by Pope Francis in preparation for his visit which will take place on Saturday of this week in Sarajevo was broadcast in that country.


Transcription of the video-message
sent by the Holy Father, Pope Francis
to the people of Bosnia and Herzegovina

Dear brothers and sisters,

There are just a few more days before the voyage which will bring me to the midst of all of you in Sarajevo.  The thought of this upcoming trip brings me joy, and I have therefore decided to send my most cordial greetings to all of you who live in that city and in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I am coming to be in the midst of all of you, with the help of God, to confirm all the Catholic faithful in the faith in order to support ecumenical and inter-religious dialogue, and above all to encourage the passive co-existence of the people of your country.  I invite you to be in union with my prayer, so that this Apostolic voyage might produce the hoped-for fruits for the good of the Christian community and for your entire society.

Peace be with you.  This is the motto of my visit.  These are words with which the risen Jesus greeted his disciples when he appeared in their midst in the Upper Room on the evening of Easter Day.  He is the Lord, our strength and our hope, who gives us his peace so that we might welcome this peace into our hearts and defend it with joy and love.

I myself am preparing myself to visit with you as a brother and a messenger of peace, in order to help everyone - everyone! - to know of my great esteem and of my friendship.  I want to announce the mercy, the tenderness and the love of God to every person, to every family, to every community.

Dear brothers and sisters in Bosnia and Herzegovina, I want to assure you all of my affection and my committed spiritual closeness.  I encourage all of you Catholics to stand side by side with fellow citizens who bear witness to faith in the love of God, working for a society which is on its way to discovering peace, in shared living  and in reciprocal collaboration.

Looking forward to meeting you, I invoke on all of your country the blessing of the Lord and the maternal protection of the Virgin Mary.  Thank you, and see you soon!

No comments: