Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hospitality all around

Some may say that we're being spoiled during this time of retreat, but somehow I'm seeing the many little ways that people are interacting, as opportunities for us to exercise hospitality, and in so doing to spoil one another.

Whether it's the switchboard operator who comes to the door to make sure that it's been opened for you, or one of the resident Sisters who is always ready to explain the unspoken routines to those of us who are still relative strangers, or even the staff who go out of their way to make sure that almost anything we could possibly want is provided, all of these are constant reminders of the gentle presence of Him who has invited us all to be here this week.

Before the formal retreat began last evening, I took a few moments to visit the infirmary floor where one of our priests is now living. I haven't seen him, except on rare occasions, for quite some time now, so I wanted to at least tell him that I am here for the week. He was absolutely overjoyed to see me. Our encounter was relatively brief as such meetings go, but there was great joy and celebration even within those few moments. I am glad to see that he is being well cared for, and even though he may still find it difficult to be somewhat confined in his advancing years, there is certainly no worry about him lacking for any creature comforts.

I also took a moment to visit with one of the Sisters who is also in the infirmary, suffering from advanced stages of cancer. It's been quite a number of years since I last saw her, but dispite her obvious physical struggles, our encounter was sated with joy as at the meeting of two long-lost acquaintences.

What wonderful moments of grace these have been, and what promise for the days ahead.

No comments: