Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A little taste of home

Alex Joseph arrived a few months ago, when the ground outside was still white and the temperature was considerably more frigid than it is in these past days. I couldn't help feeling a certain affinity for Alex, and a definite amount of sympathy. He had arrived directly from India, where the temperatures are always tropical, and had to quickly acclimatize to a very different culture, temperature, and way of life.

One of the ways that we keep cultural traditions alive is through the foods that we grow up with, so when I found myself with some curried shrimp and aloo roti (Indian flat breads stuffed with potato), courtesy of my own family's recent visit, I thought immediately of Alex. He has spoken to me on a number of occasions about the fact that he wants to share a meal here, and when I told him that I know how to make curries and Indian flatbreads, his eyes lit up immediately.

This morning, I went to visit with him, and in presence of many of the staff at his parish, I presented him with what might have been a bar of gold. He was definitely unbelieving at first, but after he opened the package and saw what was there, he couldn't wait to dive into it.

Sharing treasures with friends is always worth the effort.

No comments: