Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Surprises

For the past couple of days, I've been brooding with all kinds of other things that I want to write about, but unfortunately, it isn't until right now that I'm able to get caught up, so here goes:

On Sunday morning, I caught up with a friend who I haven't seen for quite some time, at least on the phone - but later that afternoon, I actually got the chance to sit with her and to get caught up. We haven't seen each other for quite some time, but it wasn't the stories that surprised me so much as her invitation for me to decide where we were headed for the afternoon.

'It's Father's Day, so this is your day', she said.

The thing is that Father's Day is an important cultural day that is observed by most families in these parts, but I never think of myself really as one of the elect, so I usually find myself relaxing somewhere on Sunday afternoon, either accompanied by friends who are far away from their own fathers, or who no longer count their fathers among mortals.

This was the first time that I remember someone offering to spoil me for the day. It was an amazing experience, one that I will remember for quite some time to come. In the end, we visited with some mutual friends, and went out for supper before returning home. What a wonderful surprise, and a reminder that every now and then it's a good idea to spoil those we love most, just for the fun of it.

No comments: