Friday, June 19, 2009

Requiem

In my haste to get things done this morning, I placed a call to the Saint Joseph Motherhouse, intending to speak with one of the Sisters, but the switchboard operator informed me, 'They're all getting ready to enter the chapel for the funeral Mass'.

Oops ... How could I forget!

The Sisters of Saint Joseph have been hit hard this week. They're in mourning over the deaths of two of their members. In truth, to say that a community is in mourning portrays some doleful images by earthly standards, but the Liturgy for the Mass of the Resurrection is more about celebrating and giving thanks, so I hope (no, I know that the Sisters are praising God this morning as they did a few days ago).

On Monday morning of this past week, we received the news that Sister Anthony Daniel, one of the artists of the community had died. This came as a shock to some, especially those who saw her only a few weeks ago, but probably not to others who have watched and ministered to her in her final days.

Just a few days later, we heard of the death of Sister Gabrielle (Gaye) White. While I was at the Motherhouse a few weeks ago, I had an opportunity for a brief visit with Gaye, and was very pleased to hear that she did indeed remember me, even though we hadn't seen each other for many years - at least 10 or more.

These women have spent their lives giving of themselves for love of God and others. May they now rest from their labours in the arms of the One they have loved and tried to serve, and may the Sisters and others who mourn their loss know the everlasting love and tenderness of the Lord who consoles us in our moments of grief.

No comments: