Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Lives that intersect

Some people come into your life for a short period, and others hang around for a very long time indeed. These words of wisdom bear out a certain truth the longer we spend on this earth, and eventually even the passing interactions - the ones you wonder about after they have passed, the ones that make you question whether they actually took place or were mere figments of your imagination - play a part in moulding us into the people we become.

Some interactions seem to be very superfluous but truth is often in the eye of the beholder. I received a series of emails over the past few days from a person who has been reflecting on the interactions I've had with her and with her family. In one of my responses, I commented that the small part I've played in their lives has hopefully brought a modicum of comfort. Her response, which came back in a matter of hours, was to reassure me that even what seemed to be a very simple act of being in the same room with them was indeed a moment of great significance to them.

Then I stop to wonder about the elderly lady I visited today in her infirmity. I was only there for a matter of moments, but as I left, her son told me that I had 'made her day'. How many times do we stop or even slow down long enough to realize the significance of our actions and words - insignificant though they may seem?

Sometimes we can glean much more wisdom from listening than we can from entering the fray. Evidence a meeting I was at tonight, where I chose to listen for the most part as ideas of various hues were being tossed around. Only once I had had time to begin chewing on some of the subject matter did I venture some commentary, and the result of the conversation still has me wondering because it was certainly not the outcome that I would have predicted prior to the meeting. Somehow there is a grace (or possibly more than one) that is still awaiting, and all we can do is live the experience and be open to the surprises.

Oh, and don't forget the walk in the sprinkling drizzle, a sure sign that this journey is not meant to be made alone, but that He walks every step with us, reminding us ever so gently that He's around, listening, waiting, celebrating and loving.

No comments: