Friday, June 5, 2009

Safe passage

With reluctance, I left the sanctuary of the retreat this morning, but not before one more visit to the tenemos that I had established for the week. As I had each morning during this brief respite, I ventured to the pool in the early hours of the day, as the sun was just rising over the horizon, only to meet some other retreatants who had already made their way to the sub-terranian haven. Silently, we would each go about our own routines, some doing various stretching exercises, and others zigzagging from one end of the pool to the other in a variety of strokes.

These morning ablutions complete, it was time to speak with Him in the daily ritual of Lauds and then to prepare for the journey that would bring me back to the 'real world'. One last conference in the now familiar setting provided a final taste of the restful yet thought-provoking atmosphere that had become so familiar over these past few days, and yet I knew in a strange way that this more relaxed pace could not last.

I tried my best to prolong the sojourn as I made my way in the car back to this place, choosing to leave the audio system shut off, and relishing the silence as the world sped by. No sooner did I walk through the door though, and the magical silence was instantly shattered like a bubble that is suddenly burst. The frantic pace of a parish that is in high gear invaded the calm and caused me to resist with all my might as I sensed the serenity sap from my surroundings.

On the bright side, I am left with a thankful heart for the blessings that were bestowed during these past days, and for the reminder that prayerful communion is only a matter of finding a moment in the day for some silence, some reflection and possibly even some swimming.

No comments: