The Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Kilimanjaro is an Order of Diocesan Rite and was founded in 1931 in the Catholic Diocese of Moshi, Tanzania by Bishop Henry A. Gogarty, C.S.Sp. Bishop Gogarty was inspired to evangelize the people of Kilimanjaro, but he needed support to fulfill his dream. To that end, he started this congregation whose charism focuses on evangelization, and he did so together with Mother Felicitas Tirpitz, C.P.S, the first formator. They began with a small group of twelve candidates who were as mustard seeds ever since. Today, they are almost eight-hundred professed nuns.
The Congregation was placed under the protection of the Immaculate Conception who is their patroness and model for following Jesus. They honour the Blessed Mother in a special way and are inspired to follow in her footsteps in humility and total surrender to God’s will for his glory and the salvation of all people. This is a response to their charism: Simplicity and readiness to do the will of God for His glory and the salvation of humanity.