Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Across the hall

When my visit to the techno-savvy gang had drawn to a close, I was beckoned across the hall to another group of students who were patiently waiting their turn for an encounter with the visitng priest.  Meanwhile, they continued with the subject matter of the hour, until my arrival.

Recognizing some of the faces in this new group of students, I was happy to enter, and to meet some new friends.  To my surprise, they had taken my advice from last week very seriously.  At the Mass celebrated with the students last week, I challenged them all to consider that for which they were (or are) thankful.  This class took the time to write letters to me explaining the people, the things and the attributes for which they are grateful, and this was my opportunity to get their feedback.

I marvelled at the creativity with which they presented their treasures.  Some wrote sentences, whille others presented lists.  All of them were written like the kind of correspondence that each child might write to a close friend to explain something ordinary (or not so ordinary) that is to be treasured.  What a gift to receive this simple blessing in return.

My visit was further enhanced by a conversation that I had with this class of students.  In addition to their letters of gratitude, they had assembled a written list of questions that they were waiting so patiently to ask of me.  Together, as with one voice, they read this second correspondence to me, and then listened oh so attentively as I answered their questions one by one:
  • What do I like most about being a priest?
  • What do I like least about being a priest?
  • What do I do in my spare time?
The conversation that resulted was a mixture of storytelling and question-and-answer ... a most enjoyable opportunity to spend some time in unstructured converstaion with these newly found friends.  Who knows where such discussions will lead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was such a pleasure having you in our classroom! I cannot wait to share your blog post with our class.