Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes

A few weeks ago, I visited Saint Francis School for the day of their first monthly prayer service.  During that time, we thanked God for the safe arrival of new friends (the school amalgamated with Saint Michael school over the summer months) and for the successful (almost) completion of the renovations to their new premises.  In the course of this thanksgiving, I also had an opportunity to sprinkle water on the walls of the building and on all the students who were starting a new year of study.

This month, when I arrived for the Thanksgiving prayer service, one of the Kindergarten students asked Why did you sprinkle me the last time you were here?  I half expected him to wonder about what else I would do this time around.  I made a mental note to find something tangible or action-oriented that I could share with students during subsequent visits.

***
This morning, I went to St. David's, another elementary school, this one located in the boundaries of the parish where I currently serve.  Beginning in mid-September, I am endeavoring to spend about 30 minutes once a week with one class of students in this school.  As it turns out, each class begins its day with breakfast, and this provides a perfect opportunity for some informal conversation with these new friends.

Today, I found myself in a Grade 1-2 class.  We shared a bowl of cereal and the children took it in turns to tell me stories about what's going on in their lives. At this age, they are innocent and conversations come easily.  I couldn't help wondering though, how long such innocence will last.  For the moment, it's important to listen and to learn how to play ... something these youngsters have mastered, and a lesson that they willingly share with the more experienced children among them.  Whether it's the excercise of sharing an apple, or learning how to use a glue stick, even for a few moments, the children can become the teachers if we allow them to share their wisdom with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww...Sweet!!!