Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's voting day

Throughout this week, various provinces and territories across this great land have been running to the polls to elect provincial and territorial politicians.  There are different systems in some parts of the country, but the basic tenet is the same: all citizens have the right to vote for their candidate of choice.

Today is voting day in Ontario, so this morning, I dusted off the card that arrived in the mail a few weeks ago.  The fact that Elections Ontario actually found me was in itself somewhat of a feat, given that over the past five years or so, I've had to register at the polling booth.  Regardless, I took my trusty card and made my way to the polling station indicated.  In this case, it was the local public library, located just a block or so away.

With card (and identification) in hand, I did indeed find the right place, and as it turns out, I knew at least one of the returning officers.  She still asked for my identification (a matter of principle I suppose).  Once the voting was done, I was on my way out the door, but since I was actually in the public library, I thought I might ask a few questions about whether the books on the short list for the Giller prize were available.

It turns out that there is a display set up with copies of many of the former Giller winners, but alas, although a printed copy of the short list for this year's competition is available, none of the actual volumes are.  It seems that they are all out on loan, and there are waiting lists already in place.  Although I did leave the library without any of this year's candidates, I did manage to find a copy of Jane Urquart's The Stone Carvers, part of the Giller short list in 2001.

Went in the door for one thing, and came out the door with another.  Isn't that the adventure of life?

No comments: