Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Some proof of the fun

Only a few hours after my visit with the techie students in Grade 4/5 this morning, I have received some of the pictures, proof of the fun that we all had with the creative learning environment:


Within minutes of my arrival in the classroom, the students wanted to introduce me to Where's Jesus, an on-screen version of Where's Waldo, made for the iPad, and used to teach catechism to little ones.  It's lots fun, but you have to have good eyes, and fast reflexes to keep ahead of the timer.  I prefer playing this game in practice mode.


If testing my eyesight wasn't enough, the second test was a quiz made especially for Catholics.  The students and I took it in turns to challenge each other to these questions about general knowledge, and a few more challenging inquiries, just to keep us all on our toes.  We did well for the most part, but there is always room for improvement.  Maybe I'll do better the next time around.


Hallowe'en is just around the corner so of course there should be pumkins (of various sizes) involved.  I wonder what lessons could be taught using these seasonal fruit (the seeds are on the inside, right? so they are fruit, not vegetables).  Maybe next week's visit to the school will reveal yet more appropriate lessons for all of us.


Having tried to use the Smartboard to teach the children about geography (ok, in truth they were trying to teach me about Canadian geography, until the board froze and refused to thaw), the next step was to introduce the students to my blog (yes, that's the blog on the board to the right in the picture).  We even wrote a post for the blog, which was posted earlier today.

In the picture above, I'm actually using a print copy of a mercator map to show them to tell them about where I was born, and where my family came from, prior to our arrival in Canada.

This was a day for lessons to be taught and to be learned, for seeds to be planted, and for foundations to be laid.  In the coming weeks, who knows where these foundations will lead ... what other lessons will be learned, and what friendships will blossom.

No comments: