Saturday, April 19, 2014

If not for you

At the conclusion of the Stations of the Cross in the Roman Colosseum last night, the Holy Father addressed those who were gathered, sharing with them a few thoughts based on the meditations they had just experienced.


Greetings of His Holiness, Pope Francis
at the conclusion of the Via Crucis

God placed upon the Cross of Jesus the entire weight of our sins, all the perpetual injustices committed by every Cain against his brother, all the bitterness of Judas' and Peter's betrayal, all the vanity of bullies, all the arrogance of false friends.  It was a heavy Cross, like the night facing abandoned persons, as heavy as the death of beloved people, heavy because it includes all the ugliness of evil.  However, it is also a glorious Cross, like the dawn that follows a very long night, because it includes the love of God which is greater than our sins, greater than our betrayals.  In the Cross, we see the monstrosity of mankind, when human beings allow themselves to be guided by evil; but we also see the immense mercy of God who does not treat us according to our sins, but with great mercy.

Before the Cross of Jesus, we see, we can almost touch with our own hands, the extent to which we are eternally loved; before the Cross we are all sons and daughters, not things or objects, as Saint Gregory Nazianzen affirmed when he turned to Christ with this prayer: If not for You, o my Christ, I would be nothing but a finite creature.  I was born and I feel so weak.  I eat, I sleep, I rest and I walk, but I get sick and I heal.  I am assailed by innumerable desires and torments, I enjoy the warmth of the sun and the fruit of the earth.  Then I die and my flesh turns to dust like the flesh of animals, who know not sin.  But I, what more do I have than they?  Nothing, if not God.  If not for You, O my Christ, I would be nothing but a finite creature.  O Christ; lead us from the Cross to the resurrection and teach us that evil does not have the last word; this honour belongs to love, mercy and forgiveness.  O Christ, help us to exclaim anew: Yesterday, I was crucified with Christ, today I am glorified with Him.  Yesterday I was dead with Him, today I live with Him.  Yesterday, I was buried with him, today I am risen with Him.

Finally, all together, let us remember the sick, remember all those who have been abandoned beneath the weight of the Cross, that they may find in the trials of the Cross, the strength of hope, the hope of the Resurrection and the love of God.

No comments: