Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Benedict XVI celebrates

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI celebrated his 90th birthday yesterday (Easter Monday) in the garden outside his residence at the Mater Ecclesiae monastery inside the walls of Vatican City.  Enjoying a sunny day, he drank a mug of beer and listened to traditional Bavarian music accompanied by visitors from his native Bavaria (Germany), including the region's Prime Minister.

Monsignor Georg Ratzinger, the Pope Emeritus' brother, was also in attendance at the party.

Benedict XVI was born on April 16, 1927 in southern Germany, but since his birthday coincided this year with Easter Sunday, Benedict celebrated this milestone the following day.  He renounced his Office as Supreme Pontiff in 2013 and has been living ever since on the property of the Vatican leading a life of prayer.


Words of Gratitude 
Expressed by His Holiness, Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI

My heart is full of gratitude for the 90 years that the good Lord has given me. There have been trials and difficult times, but He has always guided me and brought me out of them, so that I could continue my journey and I am full of gratitude especially because He has given me such a beautiful homeland that now you (the Gebirgsschutzen, Bavarian mountain riflemen) bring to me.

Bavaria is beautiful (for its) creation. The country is beautiful for its bells, the houses with the balconies full of flowers, the people who are good. It is beautiful in Bavaria because God is known and it is known that it is He who created the world and that it is good when we build it together with Him.

I thank you so much for having brought Bavaria here, that Bavaria that is open to the world, vivacious, happy, which can be so because it is well-rooted in faith. To you all a Vergelt’s Gott (God reward you), beginning with the Governor of Bavaria and all of you.

I am happy that we were able to meet under this beautiful Roman blue sky, which with its white clouds recalls the white-blue flag of Bavaria – it is always the same sky . . . I wish you God’s blessing. Take my greetings home, my gratitude to you and with much pleasure, in my heart, I continue to walk and to live in our landscapes and I hope that everything will remain so.

Vergelt’s Gott.

No comments: