Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Greetings to local soccer teams

At 10:30am today, in the Clementine Hall at the Vatican Apostolic Palace, the Holy Father, Pope Francis received in audience the Executive of the National League, Professional Series A and the Team Managers and Players from the Juventus and Lazio soccer teams.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
to Management and Players

Dear friends,

I am pleased to meet with you on the vigil of the final match of the Copa Italia.  I thank the President of the Italian Football Federation for his courteous words, and I congratulate the two teams - Juventus and Lazio - who in addition to gaining such high standings, are both very much loved by sports fans.  This commits you even more to bearing witness to the authentic values of sports.

Therefore, I would like to briefly return with you to the importance of sports in our time.  Considering the charm and influence that professional football has on people, especially on the young, you have a notable responsibility.   Those who are considered champions easily become idols.  For this reason, every match is a test of balance, of self-mastery, of observance of the rules.   Those among you who know how to prove this based on your own actions become examples for your fans.  And my wish for each one of you is that you will be witnesses of loyalty, honesty, concord and humanity.

Sometimes in the stadium, there arise - unfortunately - some violent acts, that disturb the smooth running of the matches and the enjoyment of the spectators.  I hope that, as much as it is in your power, you will always help sports to remain this way thanks to your personal commitment, and that this will be a motive for cohesion between the athletes and all of society.

I thank you sincerely for your visit and I wish you all the best of luck with your match!  I invoke upon you, your families and all those who are dear to you the blessing of the Lord.  And I ask you please to pray for me.

No comments: