Monday, May 22, 2017

Pastoral Visit to the outskirts of Rome

Yesterday afternoon, the Holy Father, Pope Francis paid a pastoral visit to the Parish of San Pier Damiani ai Monti di San Paolo in Casal Bernocchi (Acilia) on the outskirts of Rome.

Upon his arrival, at 3:40pm, the Pope met with children and young people who have recently celebrated the Sacrament of Confirmation in the Casal Bernocchi Sports Centre, along with other youth and those who frequent the Sports Centre.  During their meeting, the Holy Father responded to some questions which the children asked.

Afterwards, His Holiness traveled by car to the parish church where, at 4:15pm, he greeted the sick, members of the Neocatecumenal Way and the poor who are being assisted by Caritas.  Finally, he heard the Confessions of four penitents.


At 5:55pm, inside the parish church, the Pope presided over the Eucharistic celebration.  Following the proclamation of the gospel, the Holy Father shared an impromptu homily.


Questions asked by children and young people
during the meeting with the Holy Father
  • What can we children do to save the world?
  • How did you come to understand your priestly vocational call?
  • What can we do to follow Jesus better?
  • Pope Francis, I want to ask you which sport did you play when you were my age - I am 11 years old.  I would also like to know if you played soccer and which position you played.
Pope Francis
That's a good question! ...

Did you write this question: What can we do to save, to help ...  You said: to save the world.  The world is vast!  A child - think, think well before you reply - a boy, a child, a girl, a little girl, what can you do to help the world to be saved?  ... Can you help or not?

Children
We cannot ...

Pope Francis
You can't do anything? ... Do you not count for anything? ... Can you do something or not?

Children
We can!

Pope Francis
There!  A little bit louder, I can't hear you ...

Children
(crying out)  We can!

Pope Francis
I want to hear you , who among you is brave or who among you can respond to the question, think about it: how can I help Jesus to save the world?  How can I help Jesus to save the world?  Raise your hands, those who want to respond ... Raise your hands if you have a reply.

(one of them replies: With prayer)

Pope Francis
With prayer, we can help Jesus to save the world?  Yes or no?

Children
We can!

Pope Francis
But what's going on?  Are you all sleeping?

Children
No!

Pope Francis
Ah, it's the sun, it's the sun ... The sun makes us sleepy ... With prayer.  Very good.  Something else.  You ...

Child
Respecting other people.

Pope Francis
Respecting other people.  Do we respect other people?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Daddy, mommy, grandpa, grandma: do you respect them?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
And people that I don't know, who live in my neighbourhood, should I respect them?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
And people who live in the streets, bums, must they be respected?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Yes.  Everyone, every person should be respected.  Can we say that together?

Pope Francis and all the children
Every person should be respected.

Pope Francis
And people who don't love me, should I respect them?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Are you sure?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
But wouldn't it be better to give them a slap?

Children
No!

Pope Francis
Really?

Children
Yes.

Pope Francis
There: even those who don't love me, I will respect them.

Pope Francis and all the children
Even those who don't love me, I will respect them.

Pope Francis
And the person who has done me wrong, one time, think about this one: what should I do?  If a person has done me wrong, can I do him wrong?

Children
No!

Pope Francis
No.  That is not nice.  Can I call the mafia and ask them to do something?

Children
No ...

Pope Francis
You don't sound convinced ... Can I do that?

Children
No!

Pope Francis
Can I make agreements with the mafia?

Children
No!

Pope Francis
No!  Even those (who cause harm to others) should be respected.  You have answered well.  You see how many ways we can help Jesus to save the world.  And this is good, it's very good!  If I have done my chores at home and mommy lets me go out to play with my friends, or to have a party, is this good?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Play - think about it - does playing, playing well, help Jesus to save the world?

Children
Yes ...

Pope Francis
You don't sound convinced ...

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Yes!  Because joy helps Jesus to save the world.  Let us say it together.

Pope and children
Joy helps Jesus to save the world.

Pope Francis
Joy is a very good thing, very good.  And you, are you joyful today?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Yes?  You are joyous?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
And this is very good.

I believe that with this, I have answered the question: what can we do to help Jesus save the world.  You think about it among yourselves, afterwards, at all times.

When I was your age, I played football (soccer).  Do you know that I was no good at football, and among the children, someone who was no good at football was called pata dura (hard foot).  Do you understand?  I was a pata dura, and for this reason alone, I played goalie, so that I wouldn't have to move around: that was my role ... This is not a slogan, it can be said, pata dura is not a slogan.

And another question was: how did I come to understand my vocation.  Every one of us has a place in life.  Jesus wants some of us to be married and to create families, he wants some of us to be priests, some of us to be sisters ... But every one of us has a path in life.  For most of us - like you, like most people, like your parents: lay faithful who create beautiful families, who help their children to grow, help them to grow in faith ... And I was in a family: we were five children, we were happy.  Daddy worked, he came home from work ... at that time there was work - and we played ... Once - I will make you laugh, but don't do what I say - we had a competition to play para-troupers, and we took an umbrella and went out onto a terrace and one of my brothers jumped first, down from the terrace.  And he barely saved his life!  Those are dangerous games, but we had fun!  Why?  Because daddy and mommy helped us to keep going, in school, they even took care of us.  This is very good, very good ... Listen: it is very good in life to be married, very good.  It is very good to have a family, a daddy and a mommy, to have grandparents, uncles and aunts ... Do you understand this?  It is very good, it is a grace.  And every one of you has parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts, a family.  Why don't we say hello to all of them right now?  Applause for all of them, all of them ... (applause).  Your parents make sacrifices for you, to help you grow, and this is a good thing, a beautiful vocation: to have a family.

But there is also the other vocation: to be a Sister, to be a priest.  And one day I felt - rather suddenly - I was 16 years old when I felt that the Lord wanted me to be a priest.  Here I am!  I am a priest.  This is the response.  We hear it, we feel him calling in our hearts: when a boy hears this call in his heart and the call continues, and when he feels love for a girl and then gets engaged and then gets married, what do we feel in our hearts when the Lord says: You should continue along the path of becoming a priest.  This is how I heard it.  How do we hear or feel beautiful things in our lives?  This is a beautiful thing.  Do you understand?

Good, you are tired of being here, the sun is strong ...

Children
No!

Pope Francis
Now, there is a slight breeze ...
I don't remember: if someone doesn't like me, should I give him a slap?

Children
No!

Pope Francis
Ah! I had forgotten.  And should I pray for the people who hate me?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Yes, yes: pray for those who don't like me, for them ... we need to pray.  And should I be obedient to mommy and daddy?

Children
Yes!

Pope Francis
Me, or my neighbour?

Children
Everyone!

Pope Francis
Ah, everyone!  Everyone say I.

Children
I!

Pope Francis
I should obey daddy and mommy: everyone!

Children
I should obey daddy and mommy.

Pope Francis
This is very important, because they make sacrifices for us.  Do you understand?

Children
Yes.

Pope Francis
Very good.  And now, what shall we do?

Let's say a prayer.  In the first question, we spoke about prayer.  Now, let's pray for each other.  Hold hands, everyone.  Like brothers and sisters, like friends.  Hold hands, everyone.  And let us pray to Our Lady, who is our Mother: Hail Mary ...

And now, I will give you all my blessing.  Let's be silent, every one of us, let's think about our parents, our friends, let's think about our enemies, the people who hate us or want to harm us.  And may this blessing descend even on them, on all of them.

(Blessing)

Thank you!


Meeting with the Community
of the Neo-Catechumenal Way

Pastor
Holy Father, welcome among us.  A brief presentation.  This meeting that we are conducting, briefly, is with the community of the Neo-catechumenal Way, which began here, in this parish, about thirty years ago.  There have been various evangelizations: there are five communities plus to communities in mission, who were mandated by your predecessor, Benedict XVI eight years ago; he sent them here, to the peripheries of Rome in order to evangelize those who had been distanced from the Church.  There are two communities: one comes from Piazza Bologna, they travel 50 kilometres to come here, every Wednesday and every Saturday; and the other comes from San Leonardo del Murialdo: they come every Wednesday to visit families in their homes, to pray with them, to speak a word, to listen, and this has borne much fruit.  In our parish, there are not many who come: You see many people, now, today; but those you see today, you should consider them to be the fruit of all that has been done throughout the years, by my predecessors before me and also by various groups within our parish.

Truly, I am thankful to the Lord - I too come from the Redemptoris Mater, I did my seminary formation there, first I was an itinerant; now for 12 years, I have been in this parish as pastor.  I am happy.  I had difficulty - many of them - but also much joy.  I must say that these brothers bore witness - not only them, but also others - faith, they gave me life and strengthened my vocation.  When I was in crisis, during these past years, it was they - I am very moved - it was they who supported me, because I think that I should not be here.  Now, thank God, I am grateful to be a presbyter, to be a priest and to serve the Church of Rome.  Above all else, I do this in obedience to you, as the Successor of Peter.

Pope Francis
One of you told me that if the Neo-catechumenal Way is in this parish, it is thanks to this person (the parish priest).  But there is something beautiful: he did not say if the Neo-catechumenal Way or this parish is strong, if we have lots of children, if we have such a vibrant and missionary community, it is because we had missionary priests, no.  He said that you were the missionaries, because the grace of being a missionary comes from our Baptism: it is Baptism that gives us the strength we need for the mission, and the laity, who are the baptized, are those who should be missionaries.  And we, priests, sisters, even bishops, all of us are missionaries, but the laity should go out.  This is what your pastor has said:  the fact that he visits families, listens to them ... This is not in Canon Law, but it is very important: the apostleship of the ear.  Listening.  But Father, we waste so much time ... No, you earn it!  You listen; then, at a certain moment, you say a word and this word plants a seed, which is fertilized and keeps going.  But first, we need to listen.  Today, people need to be listened to.  Everyone talks, we speak about everything ... But let's think ...

I'll tell you one of my personal experiences - even I can give a personal witness: you like witnesses, don't you? (laughter) - how often I have heard people who have come to me to ask for advice, and I remained quiet, I let them talk, talk, talk ... and then I said: Yes, it's true: You are right.  I hadn't said anything!  But it was the Holy Spirit that was within that person, who spoke, and who found the way.  But that person needed an ear, and you all have had this kind of experience.  If someone begins to speak, don't say: No, but ... Don't explain anything, until the moment when the Spirit says to you: Speak.  Do you remember the apostle Philip: he was baptizing, evangelizing and the Spirit said to him: Go, along that path ... And he found a person on that road who was a lord, the minister of finance to the King of Ethiopia.  But he was Hebrew and he was reading the book of the prophet Isaiah.  Philip didn't say a word, he only accompanied him on the road; the Ethiopian looked at Philip and asked: Tell me, do you understand this?  How can I understand it if no one will explain it to me?  He was the one to ask.  Philip was silent.  Only then did he get up on the chariot to explain ... And then, when they found some water in the desert, he said ...: Why can I not be baptized?  Listening.  In the beginning, we must listen, and then we can say a word.

If you go into a house, knock at the door and someone will open the door and say to you: Come, proclaim the gospel, Christ's salvation, you might get thrown out and ruin the work of the Holy Spirit.  Listen.  Then, while you are listening, pray: Lord, give me to right words.  This is always a good thing to do when we visit with families: allow the right words to be found.  After they have vented, after they have had a chance to explain themselves.  Then, go on ahead, in community, drawing close to people, who are comfortable ... This is how the mission is accomplished.  Jesus, one of the most beautiful images that is used for mission, is the image of the sower: sowing seeds.  We throw out the seeds of the Word ... and in one of the passages, the gospel says: the sower goes to sleep and does not know what is happening, but it is the Lord who makes the seed grow.  Always work with the Lord, always.  Please, don't be proselytizers, but evangelizers.  It is terrible to go into such a family, to become part of such an ecclesial family: this is not right.  Proselytism is wrong.  Pope Benedict said something that we should never forget: The Church does not grow through proselytism, but by attraction, that is to say through witnessing, through service.  Be servants, of everyone and in that way, things will go well.

Then, there are moments of crisis - your pastor spoke about his own, the ones that he encountered.  But I would like to ask you - I will not - who among you has never faced a crisis, raise your hands.  Everyone has had at least one.  Everyone.  IT seems that the Lord has placed beside us someone who can help us.  And when you are in crisis, let him help you.  Ask him for help.  Don't close yourself off, ask for help.  Ask for the alms of grace, and this will always be given through a brother or a sister.  Always.  The gospel is like that.  Preaching is not done by angels: the angels praise God and take care of us, but who does the preaching?  We do.  All of us.  This is the path we must follow.

I thank you for all that you do.  You are brave.  Even these jewels that are here - your children - are a promise for the future of the Church.  Help them to grow as good Christians.  And I like hearing you sing.  Before I give you my blessing, can you sing a song to Mary ... When I came in, you were singing one ... If you don't know any other ones ...

(song)

Thank you.  Now, I will give you my blessing.

(blessing)

Please, pray for me, don't forget!


Meeting of His Holiness, Pope Francis
with the poor

Pastor
Holy Father, I want to explain a bit about how this initiative started.  It came about as the fruit of a diocesan meeting.  The theme was The Eucharist is a witness of charity.  After our collaborators had taken part in this meeting, and after the meeting that we had with you, the desire was expressed by our parish - by the parishioners - to do something concrete.  There was nothing of the sort in this place.  We started this effort right here, where the people get their meal.  For the past year, one Saturday on and one Saturday off, every 15 days, in collaboration with the other parishes in our prefecture.  We do Saturday, another parish does Sunday, so that more or less we can cover the whole week.  They are - this is the fruit - they are the fruit, our jewels, in a certain sense - as you call them.  We are really proud of this, but not for just any purpose, but because so many people participate, even if they don't come to the parish church.  They bring their offerings, they give me their offerings, they bring food ... We allow them to use our food bank ... And then, we have fifty families who we assist from our parish.  You can see that the realities are very much varied.  In this past year, it has been worse: we had fathers who had lost their jobs and still they had to support their families, or those who were divorced who were unable to support their families ... So many people came by, and every one of them has been a blessing for all of us.  Even here, there are those who work with us, who serve: there are about 15 people.  Here, we have a kitchen: we cook there.  I did it hastily, otherwise how could we do it? We do what we can do.  And there is bureaucracy ... the work must go on - yes, it is well done - but there have been struggles, and the parishioners have encouraged me, and I am happy.  And we offer this as a gift to you.

Pope Francis
I thank you.  The pastor said the word jewels: those who are in need, the most in need, in a parish, are the jewels of that parish.  Here in Rome, you know the tradition of the deacon Saint Lawrence, when during the early years of the persecutions, the authorities, as part of their negotiations, promised to save the lives of all the Christians, and how they asked them - for he was a treasurer, an administrator - to bring all the treasures of the dioceses of Rome.  The day when he was to deliver them, he went along with all the poor of the city.  The poor are the treasure of the Church.  It is a terrible thing, many times they suffer so, as the pastor has said, when there is nothing to eat or when there is a shortage of work, or there is divorce, or many other things ... And the Church should take care of the poor because they are treasures.  Real treasures, real, living.  It's true, the Madonna is our treasure, but she is in heaven, she helps us: Jesus in the Eucharist, in the tabernacle, and the poor are the living treasure of the Church.  And when the Church, or a church or a parish or a community forgets about the poor, I would say that they celebrate the Eucharist badly or that they really don't celebrate at all.  They celebrate, but they do not understand the treasure of the Eucharist if they do not understand the treasure of the poor.  It is true that poverty is a cross, but Jesus lived it: he was poor, he lived it.  He was poor.  He led a life of poverty, and the first Christians, many of them were poor, but they had faith in Jesus and followed Jesus.  And so, since the poor are the treasure of the Church, Jesus also says: Be attentive, for there is another treasure: riches, too many riches.  And these can ruin the soul.  This is the gospel.  We should not become enraged over people who is rich, no.  We must pray for them.  We must pray that they will not be corrupt, so that things can go on.  But the devil enters through the pockets, always: corruption ... The pastor said that he began the kitchen with what he could, because bureaucracy ... bureaucracy ... I say: Yes, yes, we must do this, this ... - But it's too complicated, is there not another way? - Yes ... (he makes a gesture with his hands) bureaucracy usually disappears with bribes.  Do you see? (he indicates the mood of the room).  This is a good way, a good way ... He (the pastor) did it, how he wanted to do it, and there are no problems.  But I say this because you are attentive: it is true, not having what we need is a very difficult cross.  It is true.  But you know that the poor are the treasure of the Church, and that the Church, the priests, the bishops, the Pope should take care of the poor, those who society ignores.  Today, many people are losing their employment!  How many people there are who cannot bring home food for their families!  And many men and women who should be bringing home food don't have any work; they feel worthless, as though they have no dignity: because work gives us dignity.  The Church should be close to the poor ... Jesus was not born in Herod's palace, he was born in a stable, in a manger.  We need to remember this.  We also need to pray for the rich, for the rich who have too much, those who don't know what to do with the money they have, those who always want more.  Poor them.  Jesus tells us, in the gospel, about rich people who held banquets and festivals while at their doors there were poor people, and the poor were lying next to the dogs; they were eating the things that fell from the rich man's table.  Jesus tells us this.  But we should not hate the rich, no: this is not the Christian way.  We should pray for them, that they will make good use of their riches, because their treasures are not theirs: it is God who has given them to them so that they might take care of them.  And the rich, those who don't understand the message, they put their riches in their pockets: and this is terrible.  But there are people who have money, people who are generous, they help, they take care of others, they lead a life of austerity, a simple life, a life of work.  We should not hate them, no, no!  Pray for those who are rich, those who have not understood that their riches are not meant for them, but that they are meant to be given away, to be shared with others.  If they won't take care of them, the devil will use them against them.

I bless you.  I hope that the Lord will be close to you, that you will be close to those who are suffering, there are so many of them.  The best thing that you can do is to pray for those who can resolve your situations and that they will not be selfish or conscious only of their own needs.

(Blessing)

And you, pray for me!

[Benedizione]


Homily of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
for the Mass celebrated in the parish of
San Pier Damiani ai Monti di San Paolo in Casal Bernocchi

We have heard how Jesus took leave of his disciples at the Last Supper, and asked them to observe the commandments, and promised to send them the Holy Spirit: I will ask the Father and He will send another Advocate - advocates are lawyers - another advocate who will remain with you forever: the Spirit of Truth (Jn 14:16-17).  And the Holy Spirit is in us - in every one of us - ad we have received him in Baptism: we have received this gift from Jesus and from the Father.  In another part (of the New Testament), the Apostle tells us to care for the Holy Spirit, and he also says: Do not grieve the Holy Spirit (cf Eph 4:30), as if to say: Remember that you have God himself within you, God who accompanies you, who tells you what you should do and how you should do it; the One who helps you not to make mistakes, who helps you not to give into temptation, the Advocate: the One who defends you from evil.  And this Spirit is the one that Peter, in his second Letter, says will help us to adore Christ in our hearts (cf 1 Peter 3:15).  How does this happen?  With prayer and adoration that gives rise to the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  He says: This is good, this is not good, this is the wrong way, this is the right way ... he helps us to go on.  And when people ask us to explain, why we Christians are like this, Peter says: Be ready to respond to whoever should ask why you are like this (cf 1 Peter 3:15).  How do you do it?  Peter continues: However, this should be done with gentleness and respect (1 Peter 3:15).  And here, I want to stop.

This is the language of Christians who are caring for the Holy Spirit who has been given to us, those who are aware of the Spirit who speaks truth to us, this is a special language.  We should not speak in Latin: no, no.  This is another language.  It is the language of gentleness and respect.  And this can help us to think about our attitude, our Christian attitude.  Is it an attitude of gentleness or anger?  Or is it bitterness?  It is so terrible to see people who say that they are Christian but who are filled with hatred ... With gentleness.  The language of the Holy Spirit is gentle, and the Church calls it the sweet guest of the soul, because the Spirit is sweet and makes us gentle.  And respect.  Always respect others.  The Spirit teaches us to respect others.  And the devil, who knows how to weaken us in our service of God, and also how to weaken us in caring for the Holy Spirit who is within us: the devil will do everything within his power to make sure that our language is not gentle, not respectful.  Even within the Christian community.

Today, I said, in the Angelus (the Regina Caeli), and I want to repeat: many people come to parishes, for example, seeking this peace, this respect, this gentleness and they encounter internal fighting between the faithful.  Instead of gentleness and respect, they find chattering, illness, competitiveness, one against another ...; they encounter an atmosphere that is not sweet but filled with idle chatter ... And then what does he say?  If these are Christians, I prefer to remain a pagan.  And he goes away disappointed.  Why do people not know how to care for the Spirit, and with the language of being seen with ambition, envy, jealousy, many things that divide us, separate us from other people.  We are driven away from them.  And we do not allow the Spirit to do its work, to attract people, continually.  I like to return to this argument always, because I say - I want to say with great clarity! - that this is the most common sin within our Christian communities.

When I was incensing Our Lady, I lowered by gaze and I saw the serpent, the serpent that Our Lady is crushing, the serpent with his mouth open and his tongue sticking out.  It would be good for everyone to consider how our Christian communities do not care for the Holy Spirit with gentleness and with respect: how the serpent, with long tongues like his ... Once, a pastor told me, speaking about this argument: In my parish, there are a few who can receive communion while standing at the door: their tongues are so long that they can reach the altar!  Someone among you might say: But Father, You always have the same arguments! ... But it's the truth!  This is destructive!  We should care for the Holy Spirit ... and not the things that the serpent - the devil - teaches us.

Excuse me if I keep coming back to this, but I believe that this is the enemy that destroys our communities: idle chatter.  Perhaps it would be good, not today - another day, some other day - when you go to greet Our Lady, look at her for a while, see the tongue (of the serpent) and say to Our Lady: Our Lady, save me: I don't want to be like that.  I want to take care of the Holy Spirit like you took care of Him.  She took care of the Spirit, who came and made her the mother of the Son of God.

Sisters and brothers, truly: this hurts my heart.  It's as though we were throwing stones at each other.  And the devil is having fun: it is a carnival for the devil!  Let us ask for this grace: to take care of the Holy Spirit within us.  Let us not sadden him, as the Apostle Paul says.  Do not sadden him.  And let our attitude be seen by others - by Christians and by non-Christians alike - as an attitude of gentleness and respect.  The Holy Spirit acts within us: with gentleness and respect.

No comments: