Thursday, July 28, 2016

Greetings to spouses from the window

Once again this evening, Pope Francis continued the tradition begun by Saint John Paul II by appearing at the window of the Archbishop's residence in Kraków to greet the faithful who were gathered in the adjacent square.  Many couples and a group of newly-wed couples were in attendance at this evening's gathering.


Greetings of His Holiness, Pope Francis
offered from the window of the 
Archbishop's residence in Kraków

They tell me that many of you understand Castilian.  They also tell me that today, there is a beautiful group here, in the square, a group of newly-weds and young couples.  Whenever I meet someone who is getting married, a young man who is preparing for his wedding, a young girl who is getting married, I tell them: These people are truly courageous.  It's not easy to form a family, it's not easy to always be committed to life; they must be courageous.  Congratulations; you have great courage.

Sometimes I am asked how to help a family to continue moving forward, to overcome difficulties.  I suggest to them that they should always use three words, three words that express three attitudes - whenever I encounter newly-weds - three words that can help you to live your married lives, because in married life there are difficulties.  Marriage is something very beautiful, very splendid that we must take care of, because it is forever.  And the three words are: permission, thank you and excuse me.

Permission.  Always ask your spouse, you wives to your husbands and you husbands to your wives: What do you think?  Should we do this?  Never take a step without asking permission.

The second word: be thankful.  How many times does a husband say to his wife: thank you.  And how many times does a wife say to her husband: thank you.  Be thankful to one another, because the sacrament of matrimony is conferred by and to each of the spouses, one to another.  And this sacramental relationship is maintained with this sentiment of gratitude.  Thank you.

The third word is: excuse me.  This is a very difficult word to pronounce.  Always in matrimony - between a husband and wife - there is always a certain amount of incomprehension.  Know how to recognize these signs and to say excuse me.  It is very good to ask for forgiveness.

You are young families, newly-weds, many of you are married, others are preparing for marriage: remember these three words, that have helped many others to live their matrimony: ask permission, say thank you, say excuse me.  Let us repeat these words together: ask permission, say thank you, say excuse me.  Louder, all of you!  Permission!  Thank you! Excuse me!

Good, all of this is very good!  And it is very good to say these things about matrimonial life.  Always, however, in married life, there are problems or discussions.  This is normal and it happens that a husband and a wife discuss things, that they raise their voices, that they argue, and sometimes they even throw plates!  Don't be afraid though, when it happens.  I will give you a word of advice: never end a day without making peace.  Do you know why?  Because a cold war the day afterward is very dangerous.  How can I do this Father, how can I make peace?, someone among you might ask.  There is no need for speeches, only a gesture is enough, and it's all over, and peace has been restored.  When we are in love, a gesture is enough to fix everything.

I invite you, before you receive the blessing, to pray for all families who are here, for newly-weds, for those who have already been married for some time and who know what I have told you tonight, and for those who will soon be married.  Let us pray the Hail Mary together, each in our own language.

Hail Mary ...

(Blessing)

And pray for me!  Truly, pray for me!  Good night and rest well!
(Original text in Spanish)

No comments: