Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Pope Francis travels to Poland

This afternoon in Rome, the Holy Father's 15th International Apostolic Voyage began.  This time, he is travelling to Poland for the XXXI World Youth Day, taking place in Kraków from 26 to 31 July and focused on the theme: Blessed are the merciful, they will find mercy (Mt 5:7).

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father - an Alitalia A321 - left Rome's Fumicino airport at 2:00pm local time (EDT+6).

The expected arrival at the John Paul II International airport in Balice-Kraków is 4:00pm local time.


At the moment when he left Italian airspace, the Holy Father sent the following telegram to the President of the Italian Republic, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella:

To His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale
00187 Rome

At the moment when I am preparing to depart for Poland on the occasion of the World Youth Day, inspired by a keen desire to meet the young people who have come from all over the world for a significant gathering and a sign of faith and of fraternity, I am happy to send to you, Mister President, and to all the Italian people, my affectionate greetings of good will which are accompanied with every good wish for peace and prosperity.

Franciscus
(original text in Italian)

During the flight from Rome to Poland, as he passed over Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Hungary and Slovakia, the Holy Father sent the following greetings to the respective Heads of State of those countries:

Croatia

Her Excellency, Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović
President of the Republic of Croatia
Zagreb

Entering Croatian airspace on my pastoral journey to Poland, I extend warm greetings to Your Excellency.  I pray that Almighty God may bestow upon you and your fellow citizens the blessings of peace and prosperity.

Franciscus

Slovenia

His Excellency, Borut Pahor
President of the Republic of Slovenia
Ljubljana

Entering Slovenian airspace on my pastoral journey to Poland, I offer warm greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens, as I invoke God's abundant blessings upon the nation.

Franciscus

Austria

Her Excellency, Doris Bures
President of the National Council
of the Republic of Austria
Vienna

I send warm greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens as I fly over Austria on my way to Poland for my pastoral visit.  I pray that Almighty God may grant you all, the divine blessings of peace and prosperity.

Franciscus

Hungary

Her Excellency, János Áder
President of Hungary
Budapest

Entering Hungarian airspace on my pastoral journey to Poland, I extend warm greetings to Your Excellency.  I pray that Almighty God may bestow upon you and your fellow citizens abundant blessings of peace and prosperity.

Franciscus

Slovakia

His Excellency, Andrej Kiska
President of the Slovak Republic
Bratislava

As I enter Slovakian airspace on my way to Poland for my pastoral visit, I offer warm greetings to Your Excellency.  Upon you and your fellow citizens, I invoke the abundant blessings of Almighty God.

Franciscus

No comments: