Saturday, March 2, 2019

Video greetings to the new paediatric centre in Bangui

Today in Bangui (Central African Republic), the Papal Almoner, His Eminence, Cardinal Konrad Krajewski, will officially open a new Health Centre specializing in treatments for malnourished children and the reconstructed building in the paediatric complex which is part of the paediatric hospital in that capital city.

The new Centre and the reconstructed area, which has been made possible through the will of Pope Francis, was also supported by various initiatives of solidarity and the collection of funds.  It is entirely entrusted to the care of the Bambino Gesù Hospital (Rome).  Present at today's inauguration ceremony were: the President of the Bambino Gesù Hospital, Doctor Mariella Enoc; the Apostolic Nuncio in the Central African Republic, His Excellency, Santiago De Wit Guzmán; the President of the Central African Republic, His Excellency, Faustin-Archange Touadéra; and other political authorities.

The Holy Father, Pope Francis recorded a video message for the occasion.


Video Message recorded by His Holiness, Pope Francis
for the official opening of the Paediatric Centre
in Bangui (Central African Republic)

Dear friends of the paediatric hospital in Bangui,

I greet you all with joy on this festive occasion of the inauguration of the new health structure dedicated to the children of the Central African Republic.  This location has come to be through the support of the Bambino Gesù paediatric hospital, which has been involved since the Spring of 2016 in the formation of the medical personnel, and not only that.  I hope that this new location can become a centre of excellency, where children will be able to discover a response and comfort, tenderness and love, especially when they are suffering.  I have not forgotten!  I still keep in my heart the suffering eyes of so many malnourished children who I met during my brief visit to the hospital on the occasion of my travel to your country.

I still remember the words of the doctor who was with me: The majority of these will die, because they are suffering from malaria, and they are malnourished.  I heard this.  No, this must not happen!  The suffering of children is without a doubt the most difficult to accept.  The great Dostoyevski asked the question: Why do children suffer?  I often ask myself the same thing: why do children suffer?  And I find no explanation.  I only look to the cross, and I pray for the merciful love of the Father in answer to such suffering.

This building which is inaugurated today is a concrete sign of mercy, that traces its origins to the Holy Year that I wanted to open ahead of time, on the 29th of November 2015, while I was in Bangui.  The first Cathedral door that was opened was the one in Bangui, not the one in Saint Peter's.  This was a gesture inspired by the Lord.  By opening the Holy Door of that Cathedral, I was affirming: Bangui is becoming the spiritual capital of prayer for the Father's mercy.  All of us are asking for peace, reconciliation, forgiveness, love.  It pleases me to think that this Holy Door is still open and that the river of mercy is giving life to the paediatric hospital and to all those who are working there.  Always remember: Many concrete acts of goodness and tenderness are shown to the weak and the vulnerable, to those most lonely and abandoned. There are true champions of charity who show constant solidarity with the poor and the unhappy (Apostolic Letter, Misericordia et Misera, 17).

Therefore I encourage you to perform your work of caring for the children, motivated by charity, always thinking of the good samaritan in the gospel: be attentive to the needs of your little patients, bend tenderly over their fragilities, and in them you will see the Lord.  Those who serve the sick with love serve Jesus who opens the Kingdom of heaven to us.  This hospital reminds us all that what we are currently living is the time of suffering, so that those who are weak and defenceless, distanced and alone, may welcome the presence of brothers and sisters who will respond to their needs.

Dear brothers and sisters, while carrying out your medical profession, you are artisans of mercy!

I offer a respectful greeting to President Faustin-Archange Touadéra.  I also greet the Apostolic Nuncio, His Excellency, Santiago de Wit Gùzman, and the President of the Gesù Bambino Hospital, who has been so devoted to this project.  And I also greet Cardinal Krajewski, who is making the Pope's charity present in the world.  Those who take care of the little ones are standing beside our God.  Do not forget this:  those who take care of the little ones are standing beside our God, and combatting the culture of exclusion!  May this new hospital become a model and a point of reference for all countries.  Remember: in sickness, Christ is present, and in the love of the one who bends down over the wounds of others, we see him and we encounter him!

I bless you!  And, please, don't forget to pray for me!  Thank you.
Original text in Italian
Texte en français
Texto en español

No comments: