Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Giving and receiving

A few weeks ago, I began working on a Prayer Shawl meant for a friend of mine. The prayer shawl minstry has evolved over the past couple of years as a tangible way of incorporating crafts with prayer.

With a history that stretches as far back as Old Testament times, prayer shawls are created while the person putting them together offers prayers for the one who is to receive them. A number of books have been published recently to explain what these shawls are all about, including the history of their development, and the power of prayer that is offered along with them.

Today, I had a chance to show the work-in-progress to it's intended recipient. Now, the reaction one receives when presenting a gift says lots, so I knew immediately that this gift would be deeply appreciated, but the response that came after the response said even more.

There are many people I've had the privilege to know who are extremely generous with their time, their talents and their goods. Funnily enough it has rarely happened that I even stop to consider the effect of the generosity I choose to share with those whose paths cross my own. Of course, there's no way for me to fully appreciate this impact except when others share with me their reactions and thoughts, but on the odd occasion, when this DOES occur, it can be extremely rewarding.

Oh, once it's complete, the shawl will be waiting for it's new owner to take it home.

No comments: