Monday, July 13, 2009

What's old is new

It's hard to believe that I've known them for more than 10 years.

I first met them in 1998 when I was in Sault Ste. Marie. During the more than two years that I spent walking the path with them and with other pilgims of the Way, I was given the privilege of spending time with them, of sharing some truly precious moments with them, and of finding the gift of true friendship and support.

More than a decade later, I rarely have occasion to see them now, but thanks to the provindential intervention they had with one of my confreres, I had a rare opportunity to spend some time with them today, and to catch up with all that has happened over these past months.

Their children have grown into wonderful teenagers, filled with the wonder, adventure and inquisitiveness of teenagers, but retaining all of the deep-seated love that binds them together, and keeps them close to their parents.

Today, we joyfully shared one another's adventures and misadventures, including pictorals and stories about extended families. We also shared the precious warmth of friendship we share with our now mutual companion and his compatriots.

As the day unfolded, I couldn't help wondering whether this was not what it was like for the disciples to spend time with one another after their forays into various parts of the known and unknown world, sharing stories about their travels, their struggles and their successes. Travel along the way continues even today, and it helps every now and then to be able to touch base, to share the joy of being disciples of the One who has called us all to live in His love.

No comments: