Monday, July 27, 2009

Welcoming and celebrating

A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from one of my confreres. He wanted to tell me that there was a new collegue in town. It wasn't long before I made first contact, and found out that this newcomer had recently arrived from Benin, a country located in West Africa.

Newcomers need friends, or at least a few well meaning collegues who will make them welcome and point them in the right direction, so I thought what better way but to invite him to join us for a meal ... and invite some other friends as well. The result - dinner with six wonderful people, around a table where there was food for body and soul.

We don't know for sure how long Francois, who is a Missionary of Africa (otherwise known as the White Fathers) will be among us, but with a little help from his friends, I'm sure he will be welcome in this land that is so far away from home.

No comments: