Thursday, July 9, 2009

Remembering Bill

It was eleven years ago that I first met Bill.

He's spent most of his life on the same farm, milking and feeding the cows every day of life, twice a day. During my first visit with Bill and his family, he took great pride in dressing me up in overalls and Wellys so that I could milk the cows (thankfully using milking machines). Bill had lots of simple wisdom, which he freely shared with anyone who was interested enough to ask about.

'The cows can teach us lots,' he would say, 'if only we pay attention to them. They will tell us when they need to be milked, and we'd better be there to milk them if we know what's good for us'.

Bill's farm is located on the North Island of New Zealand, and for many years, he oversaw the running of an industry that was responsible for up to 350 head of dairy cattle at a time. He was an expert at all things bovine (well, the dairy variety anyway), even though he was also a very quiet person who preferred to be walking the paddocks and watching his beloved cows well on into his retirement.

Some ten years ago or so, he sold the dairy farm, but chose to remain literally on the property. Last July, I had another occasion to visit with him and some of his family. Even though it was a decade since I had seen him, it was like coming home. He took great pride in welcoming my companion and me to his home, showing us around the property and quizzing us about the finer points of Aryshyres and Holsteins.

Just last week, I received news from Nola (Bill's wife) that Bill had been taken to hospital, suffering from the shortness of breath that had plagued him for so many years, and earlier this week, she wrote again to tell us that his struggle with earthly mortality had finally come to an end.

There is great sadness for those who have known and loved Bill. In his gentle way, he has influenced untold numbers of young people, his family not among the least of them. He never let his physical sufferings interfere with his will to live, and to spend time with his beloved animals, his wife, children and grandchildren.

From one part of the world to the other side of the globe, I feel strangely united with Bill and his family in these days when some are making their way down under from various points near and far so that they can celebrate his life, and bring comfort and consolation to those who are mourning. For my part, I can assure them simply of my prayer, asking the One who gave him life, to keep him safe and to reward him for all his goodness.

Rest in peace my friend.

No comments: