Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just for fun

When I first began my tenure here, some three years ago now, lots of people stopped to wonder and question. It had been quite some time since the pastor of this establishment was as young as I, and with youth comes a wealth of ideas, and the odd occasion for just being.

A few months after my arrival, once I had had a moment or two to begin appreciating how many people volunteer their time in various ways to help this parish be all that it is, I decided to throw a party. Even as I suggested the possibility of having a celebration to thank the volunteers, I was met with a certain quisical look, perhaps a disbelief that I might want to just say hi and thanks.

The day of the party arrived, people came through the door in droves. Everyone was asked to wear a name tag (so that I could identify them, and as it turns out, so that they could identify each other). My intention was just that we would take some time to enjoy one another's company, but there was a bit of expectation in the air, and finally one person was brave enough to voice it. 'We're all waiting to see what you want,' was the gentle prod. When I responded, 'Nothing, other than for us to meet one another and to enjoy and evening together, there was almost an audible release of breath.

We're three years into this odessy, and still I think that some people are wondering what it's all about. I invited a group of five parishioners to dinner tonight. I've not mentioned a thing about work, although they are used to only being convoked for formal meetings. I suppose it was natural then that one of them should ask about the items for the agenda.

My answer, 'Come for dinner. We may end up giving you some updates about some projects, but otherwise, I just want to say thanks,' was met with the same edge of disbelief that I remember hearing so many years ago.

Sometimes I wonder whether God must get exasperated with us when we keep asking where the catch is. Can we not believe for a moment that He invites us to a banquet just because we're loved, that every now and then it might actually be good to spend some time having fun together, without a hidden agenda?

If we could learn this lesson, perhaps life would be just that much more enjoyable, and we might actually get it.

No comments: