Friday, April 10, 2020

A live telephone call with RAI

This afternoon in Rome, the Holy Father conducted a live telephone interview as part of the programming for RAI's In His Image (A sua immagine).



Transcription of Pope Francis' telephone call

Lorena Bianchetti
Hello.

Pope Francis
Hello.  Good afternoon Lorena, how are you?

Lorena Bianchetti
Pope Francis!  I hope you are well!

Pope Francis
You recognized my voice ...

Lorena Bianchetti
Yes, yes I recognized your voice.  Thank you very much for this interview, but above all for all that you are doing for all of us, for all that you are doing to participate in such a paternal way in all our sufferings.

Pope Francis
I am close, I am close to all of you.

Lorena Bianchetti
Your Holiness, if you would allow me, how are you - Pope Francis - experiencing these days?

Pope Francis
Today, at this moment, I am thinking about the crucified Lord and about the many stories of those who have been crucified throughout our history, those of today, those who are being crucified by this pandemic: doctors, nurses, nuns, priests ... those who have died on the front lines, like soldiers, who gave their lives for love, those who were persistent, like Mary, under the weight of their crosses, their communities, in hospitals, taking care of the sick. Even today there are crucifixes and those who die for love and this thought comes to me at this moment.

Lorena Bianchetti
Tonight you will preside over the Via Crucis and your heart will be close to all of us, Your Holiness.

Pope Francis
Yes, and I am close to the people of God, to those who are suffering the most, especially the victims of this pandemic, close to all the suffering in the world, but I am looking upward, looking with hope because hope does not disappoint.  Hope does not take away the pain, but hope does not disappoint.

Lorena Bianchetti
So, will it be an Easter of Resurrection, an Easter of peace, once again, Holiness, despite everything else?

Pope Francis
Easter always ends in the Resurrection and in peace, but it is not a happy ending; it is precisely the compromise, the commitment of love, which makes you cross this hard road, but He has risen before us, and this gives us comfort and strengthens us.

Lorena Bianchetti
Your Holiness, I would like to continue asking you many questions ... I don't know if I can afford it, if I still can steal so much time from you ... But in the meantime I would like to express on behalf of everyone the strong affection that we have for you.

Pope Francis
I thank you very much, and I too wish to say that I love you.  I love all of you.

Lorena Bianchetti
We love you too.  Thank you, Holiness!

Pope Francis
Thank you!  May the Lord bless you and may he bless everyone.

Lorena Bianchetti
Thank you!

No comments: