Friday, May 31, 2019

Off to Romania

The Holy Father, Pope Francis began his 30th International Apostolic Voyage this morning.  This time, he will visit Romania.

At 7:30am local time (1:30am EDT), His Holiness left the Vatican and travelled by car to Rome's Fiumicino International Airport where, at 8:16am local time (2:16am EDT), he boarded an Alitalia A320 and departed for Bucarest.

Before leaving the Casa Santa Marta this morning, the Holy Father greeted a group of 15 Romanian people who are living in Rome but who are homeless.  They were accompanied by the Apostolic Almoner.  In particular, some of them are guests of the Gift of Mercy, and others are living in the area around Saint Peter's and being cared for by the Apostolic Almoner.

The aircraft carrying the Holy Father landed at the International Airport in Bucarest at 11:09am local time (4:09am EDT).


Telegrams issued by the Holy Father, Pope Francis

At the moment when he departed from Italian airspace, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following telegram to the President of the Italian Republic, the Honourable Sergio Mattarella:

To His Excellency
The Honourable Sergio Mattarella
President of the Italian Republic
Palazzo del Quirinale 00187 Rome

At the moment when I am preparing to depart for my Apostolic voyage to Romania, I am pleased to send you, Mister President, and all the Italian people, my affectionate greetings and best wishes, which are accompanied with cordial greetings and prayerful wishes for peace and serenity.

Francis


During the flight to Bucarest, while passing over Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Bulgaria, the Holy Father, Pope Francis sent the following greetings to the respective leaders of those nations.

While flying over Croatia

Her Excellency, Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović
President of the Republic of Croatia
Zagreb

I send cordial greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens as I enter Croatian airspace on my way to Romania.  Invoking the blessing of Almighty God upon the nation, I pray that He may grant you all peace and well-being.

Francis

While flying over Bosnia and Herzegovina

His Excellency, Milorad Dodik
Chairman of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo

I extend cordial greetings to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens as I fly over Bosnia and Herzegovina on my Apostolic journey to Romania.  Entrusting all of you to Almighty God, I willingly invoke the blessings of joy and peace.

Francis

While flying over Montenegro

His Excellency, Milo Dukanović
President of Montenegro
Podgorica

As my journey to Romania takes me through Montenegro's airspace, I extend best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens, accompanied by the assurance of my prayers for the peace and well-being of the nation.

Francis

While flying over Serbia

His Excellency, Aleksandar Vucčić
President of the Republic of Serbia
Belgrade

As I travel over Serbia on my Apostolic journey to Romania, I offer best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens, with the assurance of my prayers for the peace and prosperity of the nation.

Francis

While flying over Bulgaria

His Excellency, Rumen Radev
President of the Republic of Bulgaria
Sofia

Entering Bulgarian airspace on my way to Romania, I offer prayerful best wishes to Your Excellency and your fellow citizens.  Recalling with pleasure my recent visit to Bulgaria, I willingly invoke upon all of you the divine blessings of peace and joy.

Francis

No comments: