Monday, May 11, 2020

Pope Francis' Mass for 11 May 2020

At 7:00am local time this morning (1:00am EDT), the Holy Father, Pope Francis celebrated Mass inside the chapel at the Casa Santa Marta.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
prior to the celebration of the Mass

Today we join the faithful of Termoli, on the feast of the Invention of the body of Saint Timothy. In these days many people have lost their jobs; they have not been rehired, they were working illegally ... We pray for these brothers and sisters of ours who are suffering from this lack of work.


Homily of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
during the Mass celebrated on 11 May 2020

Today's passage from the Gospel is taken from Jesus' farewell following the Last Supper (cf Jn 14: 21-26). The Lord ends with these verses: I have told you these things while I am still with you. But the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name, he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I have told you (Jn 14: 25-26). It is the promise of the Holy Spirit; the Holy Spirit who lives with us and who the Father and the Son have sent. The Father will send the Spirit in my name, said Jesus, to accompany us in life. And they call this Spirit Paraclete. This is the task of the Holy Spirit. In Greek, the Paraclete is the one who supports, who accompanies us so that we do not fall, the one who keeps us still, the one who is close to us to support us. And the Lord has promised us this support, which is a gift from God, like Him: it is the Holy Spirit. What does the Holy Spirit do in us? The Lord says: He will teach you everything and remind you of all that I have told you (Jn 14: 26). Teach and remember. This is the task of the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit teaches us: teaches us the mystery of faith, it teaches us to enter into the mystery, to understand the mystery a little more. It teaches us the doctrine of Jesus and it teaches us how to develop our faith without making mistakes, because the doctrine grows, but always in the same direction: it grows in understanding. And the Spirit helps us to grow in understanding our faith, to understand it more, to understand what faith says. Faith is not a static thing; doctrine is not a static thing, it grows. It grows like trees grow, always the same, but bigger, with fruit, but always the same, in the same direction. And the Holy Spirit prevents the doctrine from being wrong, prevents it from remaining there, without growing in us. The Spirit will teach us the things that Jesus taught us, will develop in us an understanding of what Jesus taught us, will make the doctrine of the Lord grow in us, until it reaches maturity.

And another thing that Jesus says that the Holy Spirit does is to remember: He will remind you of everything I have told you (Jn 14: 26). The Holy Spirit is like memory, it wakes us up: Remember that, remember the other ... The Spirit keeps us awake, always awake to the things of the Lord and it also makes us remember our life: Think about that moment, think about when you met the Lord, think about when you left the Lord.

I once heard it said that a person prayed before the Lord like this: Lord, I am the same as a child, as a boy, I had these dreams. Then, I went on wrong paths. Now you called me.  I am the same: this is the memory of the Holy Spirit in one's life. It brings you to the memory of salvation, to the memory of what Jesus taught, but also to the memory of your life. And this made me think - what that gentleman said - about a nice way of praying, looking at the Lord: I am the same. I walked a lot, I made a lot of mistakes, but I am the same and you love me. The memory of the journey of life.

And in this memory, the Holy Spirit guides us; it guides us to discern, to discern what I must do now, what is the right path and what is the wrong path, even in small decisions. If we ask the Holy Spirit for light, He will help us to discern to make the decisions, the small ones of every day and the bigger ones too. He accompanies us, supports us in discernment.

Therefore, the Spirit who teaches: he will teach us everything, that is, make faith grow, introduce us into mystery; the Spirit who reminds us: reminds us of faith, reminds us of our life; and the Spirit who in this teaching and in this memory teaches us to discern the decisions we must make. And to this reality the Gospels give a name, to the Holy Spirit - yes, Paraclete, because the Spirit supports you, but another more beautiful name -: this Spirit is the Gift of God. The Spirit is the Gift of God. The Spirit is the Gift. I will not leave you alone, I will send you a Paraclete who will support you and help you to move forward, to remember, to discern and to grow. The gift of God is the Holy Spirit.

May the Lord help us to care for this gift which He has given us in Baptism, this gift that all of us possess within us.


Prayer to make a spiritual communion

My Jesus, I believe that you are truly present in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar. I love you above all things and I desire you in my soul. Since I cannot receive You sacramentally now, at least spiritually come to my heart. As you have already come, I embrace you and I join myself to you. Do not let me ever be separated from you.  Amen.

A Tes pieds, ô mon Jésus, je me prosterne et je T'offre le repentir de mon cœur contrit qui demeure dans son néant et en Ta sainte présence. Je t'adore dans le Sacrement de Ton amour, l'ineffable Eucharistie. Je désire te recevoir dans la pauvre demeure que mon cœur t'offre. Dans l'attente du bonheur de la communion sacramentelle, je veux te posséder en esprit. Viens à moi, ô mon Jésus, que je vienne à Toi. Que Ton amour enflamme tout mon être, pour la vie et pour la mort. Je crois en toi, j'espère en toi, je t'aime. Ainsi soit-il.

Ai tuoi piedi, o mio Gesù, mi prostro e ti offro il pentimento del mio cuore contrito che si abissa nel suo nulla e nella tua santa presenza. Ti adoro nel sacramento del Tuo amore, l’Eucaristia. Desidero riceverti nella povera dimora che ti offre il mio cuore; in attesa della felicità della comunione sacramentale voglio possederti in spirito. Vieni a me, o mio Gesù, che io vengo da Te. Possa il tuo amore infiammare tutto il mio essere per la vita e per la morte. Credo in Te, spero in Te, ti amo. Cosi sia.

No comments: