Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Pope Francis' Mass for 12 May 2020

At 7:00am local time this morning (1:00am EDT), the Holy Father, Pope Francis celebrated Mass inside the chapel at the Casa Santa Marta.


Greetings of the Holy Father, Pope Francis
prior to the celebration of the Mass

Today is nurses day.  Yesterday, I sent a message.  Let us pray for all nurses, for men and women, for boys and girls who are carrying on this profession, which is more than a profession: it is a vocation, a dedication.  May the Lord bless them.  In this time of pandemic, they have given heroic example and some of them have given their lives.  Let us pray for all nurses.


Homily of His Holiness, Pope Francis
during the Mass celebrated on 12 May 2020

Before leaving them, the Lord greeted his own (his disciples) and gave them the gift of peace (cf Jn 14: 27-31), the peace of the Lord: I leave you peace, I give you my peace. Not as the world gives it, I give it to you (Jn 14: 27). This was not about universal peace, that peace - the absence of wars - that we all want to constantly exist, but the peace of the heart, the peace of the soul, the peace that each of us has inside. And the Lord gives it, but - he clarifies - not as the world gives it (Jn 14: 27). How does the world give peace and how does the Lord give peace? Are they different? Yes.

The world gives you inner peace - we are talking about this, the peace of your life, this living with the heart at peace -; the world gives you inner peace as your possession, as something that is yours and something you can isolate from others, keep within yourself, as if it were your purchase: I have peace. And without realizing it, you close yourself in that peace.  Worldly peace is a peace for you, for everyone; it is a lonely peace, it is a peace that makes you calm, even happy. And in this tranquility, in this happiness, you fall asleep a little, anesthetize yourself ... and it makes you stay with yourself in a certain tranquility. It is a little selfish: peace for me, closed within myself. This is the way that the world gives peace (cf Jn 14: 27). It is an expensive peace, because you must continually change the instruments of peace: when one thing excites you, one thing gives you peace, then it ends and you have to find another ... It is expensive because it is temporary and sterile.

On the other hand, the peace that Jesus gives is another thing. It is a peace that sets you in motion: it does not isolate you, it sets you in motion, makes you go out toward others, creates communities, creates communication. Worldly peace is expensive, that of Jesus is free, it is free; it is a gift of the Lord, the Lord's peace. It is fruitful, it always carries you forward.

An example of the Gospel that makes me think about world peace is that gentleman who had the barns full and that year's harvest seemed to be very full and he thought: “I will have to build other warehouses, other barns to store all this and then I will be calm ..., it is my tranquility, with this I can live calmly ... Fool, says God, you will die tonight (cf Lk 12: 13-21). This is an immanent peace that does not open the door to the afterlife. Instead the Lord's peace is open to where He has gone, it is open to Heaven, it is open to Heaven. It is a fruitful peace that opens up and also brings others with you to Heaven.

I think it will help us to think a little: what is my peace, where do I find peace? In things, in well-being, in travel - but now, today you cannot travel - in possessions, in many things, or do I find peace as a gift from the Lord? Do I have to pay for peace or do I get it for free from the Lord? What brings me peace? When I am missing something, do I get angry? This is not the peace of the Lord. This is one of the tests. Am I peaceful within myself, Do I fall asleep? It is not of the Lord. Am I at peace and want to communicate this truth to others ... and carry on with something? That's the peace of the Lord! Even in bad, difficult moments, does that peace remain in me? It is of the Lord. And the peace of the Lord is fruitful also for me because it is full of hope, that is, it looks toward Heaven.

Yesterday - sorry if I say these things, but they are things in life that are good for me - yesterday I received a letter from a priest, a good priest, good, and he told me that I speak little of Heaven, that I should speak more about heaven. And he's right, he's right. This is why today I wanted to underline this: that peace which Jesus gives us, is peace for now and for the future. It is the beginning of life in Heaven, with the fruitfulness of Heaven. It is not anesthesia. The other way, yes: you anesthetize yourself with the things of the world and when the dose of this anesthesia ends up taking something else, and then something else and something else ... This - the peace of Jesus - is a definitive peace, it is fruitful and contagious too. It is not narcissistic, because it always looks to the Lord. The other looks at you, it's a little narcissistic.

May the Lord grant us this peace that is filled with hope.  May He nurture it, help us to communicate with others, to create community and to always look toward the definitive peace of Heaven.
Testo originale nella lingua italiana
Texte en français
Testo en español
Testo em português


Prayer to make a spiritual communion

My Jesus, I believe that you are truly present in the Blessed Sacrament of the altar. I love you above all things and I desire you in my soul. Since I cannot receive You sacramentally now, at least spiritually come to my heart. As you have already come, I embrace you and I join myself to you. Do not let me ever be separated from you.  Amen.

A Tes pieds, ô mon Jésus, je me prosterne et je T'offre le repentir de mon cœur contrit qui demeure dans son néant et en Ta sainte présence. Je t'adore dans le Sacrement de Ton amour, l'ineffable Eucharistie. Je désire te recevoir dans la pauvre demeure que mon cœur t'offre. Dans l'attente du bonheur de la communion sacramentelle, je veux te posséder en esprit. Viens à moi, ô mon Jésus, que je vienne à Toi. Que Ton amour enflamme tout mon être, pour la vie et pour la mort. Je crois en toi, j'espère en toi, je t'aime. Ainsi soit-il.

Ai tuoi piedi, o mio Gesù, mi prostro e ti offro il pentimento del mio cuore contrito che si abissa nel suo nulla e nella tua santa presenza. Ti adoro nel sacramento del Tuo amore, l’Eucaristia. Desidero riceverti nella povera dimora che ti offre il mio cuore; in attesa della felicità della comunione sacramentale voglio possederti in spirito. Vieni a me, o mio Gesù, che io vengo da Te. Possa il tuo amore infiammare tutto il mio essere per la vita e per la morte. Credo in Te, spero in Te, ti amo. Cosi sia.

No comments: